Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Homemade Seasoned French Fries

I had to post this b/c when my daughter barely eats fries, ever (which isn't all a bad thing I guess) but cleans her plate of these fries, every last one then that's saying something! I wanted to get creative so I made homemade fries instead of the store bought frozen one's I have always used and it turned out so good that I'll probably never buy those again since this was so easy and way cheaper to make than buying them frozen in a grocery store! So have fun and enjoy these greasy yet scrumptious fries!


Homemade Seasoned French Fries
adapted from the
Better Homes & Garden Cook Book

Serves 4 - 6

4 medium baking potatoes, 6-8 ounces each (I used red baking potatoes)

Cooking oil or shortening for deep-fat frying
Salt or seasoned salt (optional)

If desired, peel potatoes. To prevent darkening, immerse peeled potatoes in a bowl of ice water until ready to cut. Cut potatoes lengthwise into 3/8-inch-wide strips. Return strips to ice water.
In a heavy, deep, 3-quart saucepan or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 365 degree's F. To prevent splattering, pat potatoes dry. Using a spoon, carefully add potato strips, a few at a time (about 10) to hot oil. Fry for 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp & golden brown, turning once.
Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove french fries from hot oil; drain on paper towels. If desired, sprinkle w/salt or seasoned salt. Keep french fries warm in a 300 degree oven while frying remaining potatoes.

That's it, that's all there is to it!!! So why not save money and make them homemade when they taste way better than store bought!!! That's my new motto :) To add more kick you could sprinkle w/pepper as well or melt cheese on them for cheese fries! There's so many options why not try! ~

1 comment:

Jaime Lynne said...

These look delicious. I will try these soon.